Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Why Dont You Hang Out With Married Women?



Last night I, along with what seems to be my entire twitter timeline, tuned into VH1,to watch Lala's Full Court Wedding. So far it seem like a "cute" enough show. Lala has really done a style/glamour transformation in the past year. When she was a VJ on MTV she was ,quite boring and a little tick tack with her style, but in recent months she has been looking a lot better. But this blog post isn't really about Lala or her transformed style, it is about a comment that one her her friends ,singer/actor Tyrese made. His comment, well question to Lala was,"Why are you not hanging with married women, who have been married for a long time...?" This comment sent my twitter followers into an uproar. With me it was funny that Tyrese said this, because my husband says the exact same thing to me. I don't take what my husband or Tyrese said as, "do not hang out with single people" and I feel that that is what many viewers took from Tyrese's statement.Personally, I am (almost) 25, wife and mother and often things that are going on in my life, the average single 25 year old could not relate too. That does not make them bad people, it just simply means that have never been in that type of situation. Married people need to have other married people around for support. Dating,living together and even being engaged is a totally different ball game then actually being HAPPILY MARRIED.Most of my friends are single and childless, I have very few married friends and I don't get to see them as often as i would like,but I love them all the same. I never would want to become an "old married lady" who sits around and loses her sociability. But at the same time it would be great to have more married/mommy friends who understand the things you go through and can give you advice. Not having that support system can be difficult.All in all it boils down to this, the blind can't lead the blind.

4 comments:

  1. The blind cant lead the blind i absolutely agree. Im not married but i've been in a relationship since middle school and ive had many friends come and go because of their outlook on realtionships. Im an advocate on you are who you hang with and if you are continuously hanging with "friends" that have that man bashing i hate all men attitude then it will eventually rub off. Thats just my view :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! You don't have to cut all ties to your single friends but there comes a time where you really want to mingle with people who are like-minded. Same with men... Married men should limit the time they spend with single men because they may be engaging in activities that are not so appropriate for a married man. Just something you learn as you get older. The "single scene" will get too tempting or un-interesting after awhile. You'll find yourself feeling so out of place that you won't wanna hang too tough on those scenes... Unless you're looking to participate in the same activities with your "single" friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I was once married and neither of our friends were married and the only other married couples were our parents. I'm not saying that it would have kept us 2gether, but we did receive horrible advice from our peers. I started to distance myself from evry1 who had an opinion bcause none could relate to my situation. I to agree that I don't need all married friends, but it would have been good to have a better support group (married friends). Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Guys for commenting!Happy to see some1 agree's with me!!

    ReplyDelete